Harvey Nash Supports Launch of Women's Initiative with a Mission: Amplify Voices of All Women
Co-founded by Harvey Nash's Inspire network, One Loud Voice for Women aims to collaborate with all groups campaigning to end gender inequality in the workplace with a simple message, 'we're louder together.'
LONDON Thursday 26 January 2017 -- The One Loud Voice for Women (1LV) soft launch was attended by 90 people representing over 40 of the most influential women's groups. The event was headlined by leading workplace equality campaigners, including Sophie Walker the Women's Equality Party leader and Susan Vinnicombe who each endorsed 1LV and its potential for achieving equality for women in the workplace.
The co-founders, Carol Rosati OBE and Amanda Ciske from Harvey Nash's Inspire network and Elaine Aarons and Kate Jenkins from International Women’s Forum (IWF) presented their shared vision for 1LV to amplify the messages of campaigners for women's equality. They articulated their objectives: to represent 250,000 voices and 100 groups reaching 3 million supporters by the end of 2017. This will make 1LV the voices of so many that employers and government cannot ignore their messages.
Speaking on the night, Amanda Ciske, Founding Member of 1LV and associate director of Inspire, said: "Look at the power of collaboration, 90% of women in Iceland went on strike and their country is now the best place in the world to be a woman. Alone Inspire is a drop in the ocean, but when combined with every women's group, there is no limit to what we can achieve".
The speakers and audience shared their support for the idea both in the room and on social media with the reactions summed up by the decisive response from the representative from Northern Power Women "I'm in".
Founding Member of 1LV and discrimination lawyer for over 30 years, Elaine Aarons, said: "The reception for One Loud Voice for Women has surpassed expectations. The time seems perfect to try and make this simple idea happen. The force of amplifying others voices so as to effect change quicker could not seem more obvious. It is unacceptable in 2017 that there is still a disparity between the genders at work".
Key feedback that stood out from the night included:
- "Men want to lend their voice to that of women so as to eradicate gender inequality"
- "1LV is much needed, those disenfranchised women who have less skilled jobs, need to have their voices heard."
- "Let's keep an eye out for who isn't yet in the room and think across industries and pay scales"
- "I would love to hear balance in the communications coordinated by 1LV, and avoid a focus on the negatives - think about the positives of having a diverse workforce"
Next steps are a call out to all gender equality campaigners and organisations who would like 1LV to amplify their voices to get in touch. Founding member of 1LV, Carol Rosati OBE: "Inspire has been supporting women's advancement for nearly 10 years and, yet we're still talking about the same issues. It's time to stand together and be heard".
About One Loud Voice for Women (1LV)
1LV was born out of shared frustration at the slow pace of change for women at work. The committee members each speak for a major organisation currently working to remove the obstacles to an equal workplace - by bringing the voices of these organisations together, and engaging with others in this area, we will create a loud enough noise to drive faster change. At our launch date, this committee represented the voices of 50,000 women.
1LV is apolitical and is not a membership organisation. 1LV represents all women in the workplace - any age and any role. 1LV provides a connection between organisations and a publicity vehicle for women's campaigns. 1LV will always consult with a group before becoming actively involved in their campaign.
Priority campaigns are to:
- eradicate the gender pay gap
- end sexism and harassment in the workplace
- eliminate discrimination on the basis of gender including around flexible working, family care and pregnancy.
- Amanda Ciske, Harvey Nash, 0207 333 1505, email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
- One Loud Voice for Women was founded in January 2017 and is being formed as a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales
- For more information, please visit:
Twitter @1LV_forwomen and Instagram @oneloudvoiceforwomen
- One Loud Voice for Women's founding members and management committee consist of:
- Elaine Aarons and Kate Jenkins, International Women's Forum (IWF)
- Carol Rosati and Amanda Ciske, Inspire, Harvey Nash
- Yvonne Thompson, 7 Traits of Highly Successful Women on Boards
- Rowena Ironside, Women on Boards (WOB UK)
- Melanie Seymour, Women in Banking and Finance
- Jacqueline Abbott-Deane, Zonta International
- Suzanne Todd, Emerging Leaders Network
- Inspire is Harvey Nash's business network of executive and board-level women. Launched in 2008 with the aim of promoting female leadership, the network has over 8,000 members across Europe, the U.S. and Asia Pacific. The cross-industry network aims to enable members to contribute ideas, share knowledge and best practice and hear from senior business leaders, providing a forum for support and personal development.
- For more information, please visit: www.harveynash.com/inspire/