Cardiff University is a globally recognised centre of excellence for teaching and research. A member of the Russell Group, the University has over 28,000 students, 6,000 members of staff and a turnover exceeding £429m. The University is based in the heart of Cardiff, one of the most dynamic cities in the UK. Cardiff is a vibrant, growing and friendly place, home to many national institutions, and international sporting and cultural amenities. The city’s rail and road links provide easy access to the rest of the country, ensuring that University staff can build and maintain links across the UK.
There is now an opportunity for an experienced leader of Service Management to support the Director of University IT in further developing the Service & Operations Group to deliver a world leading IT service for the University. Operating within an ITIL framework, the Group provides IT service desk, incident &, problem management, change, configuration and release management, service delivery and Data Centre Operations.
As a member of the integrated Information Services Board, you will:
- Be expected to make a significant contribution to the governance, strategic and operational planning and management development of the Group.
- Provide effective leadership for, and management of, up to 60 staff responsible for the provision of centralised IT service management and delivery with the University.
- Be accountable for the day to day delivery of IT service in accordance with customer agreed service levels and internal KPI’s.
- Focus on optimising the University’s operational model for IT Service in terms of cost, structure, processes and procedures; and introduce appropriate high quality professional methodologies, standards and mind-set.
- Act as the University IT Crisis manager for the purposes of Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery.
- Already regarded as a truly inspiring manager who is able to lead, motivate and develop a diverse group of individuals and create a unified IT function that is well aligned with the needs of an organisation
- Proven track record at a senior management level in information technology roles, used to leading your own teams and at least 30 staff in total
- Experience in running a service management/delivery operation preferably based on ITIL principles.
- Significant experience in the provision of IT services in a demanding user-focused environment, which may be either a corporate or academic organisation
- Experience of driving the delivery of multiple change or service improvement programmes, involving processes, people and technology – adhering to milestones, budgets and timescales
- Highly credible and business focused with excellent communication skills, comfortable dealing with ambiguity and complex stakeholder relationships, able to quickly adapt plans and gain respect
- Demonstrable ability to harness modern IT approaches in order to optimise costs and maximise the value delivered.